Colour

Friday, March 20, 2009

She's my hero

There is a lady that I have seen a couple times recently at my gym who is rocking my socks off. The first time I saw her was a couple weeks ago...

I was on the elliptical machine feeling sorry for myself and struggling to find the motivation to finish the time I had left. Then, I saw her walk by me out of the corner of my eye. Well, actually, she did not walk...she wheeled past. Yes, she is in a wheelchair. Needless to say, I was taken aback to see that. She proceeded to wheel over to a machine that works your arms. I watched as she tried several times to get her lifeless legs onto the bench to be able to use the machine. I looked to see if she needed help, but she seemed determined to do it herself. And she did. She did not quit. She did not give up. She just wheeled herself around and adjusted the height of the bench and did what it took to get where she wanted to be.

She's my hero.

Needless to say, I felt like a total shmuck feeling sorry for myself for being tired on the elliptical machine. HELLO!!! Um, yeah, I have legs...that work...what the FREAK am I complaining about. If I hadn't been paged for a dirty diaper at that moment I would have finished the machine with gusto and no more complaints. I will tell you, though...after I changed the diaper i went back to working out. I might normally have just called it a day and left. but I chose not to. Instead, I went on to the stationary bike and made up the time difference and continued on with the rest of my workout.

She's my hero.

I've seen her since, and it has invigorated me to continue in my desire to get more active, lose weight and persevere through the rough patches. I thank God for the motivation he brought me with her. I esteem her for overcoming the obstacles in her life and being a motivator for me. I need to get back to the gym...although the forecast for today is amazing, so I might just make it a park-workout instead!!! Just so long as I get off my fat butt and MOVE!!

1 comment:

  1. What a cool story! I really needed to hear that. I am on my last 30lbs to lose and I just haven't been able to get the motivation to do it. After I read your blog I headed straight for the treadmill and the weights:) Good luck with your work out goals!

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am married to an amazing man, who is also the love of my life. We have three kids who constantly keep me on my toes! God has richly blessed me and I am grateful for all He does for me.