Colour

Monday, March 2, 2009

Worn Out

Well, so far today has been a pretty good day. It started too early for my liking, but such it is with a 2-yr old in the house!! I got Nate up and we had breakfast. He tried cereal again, which is his new favorite thing to try and eat. He spilled his milk all over himself, so we had to get a new outfit (before 8am). But, I would say it was overall a very successful breakfast.

Then, it was time to go to the gym. I was excited to try out the new running shoes I purchased on Saturday. We finally made it to the gym and I actually was able to run on the treadmill for about 10 minutes. For those who are runners, I know this is nothing...but it was quite a feat for me and I am proud of myself!! I was also pretty happy with my new shoes. I had to adjust the laces to make them looser to feel better on the sides of me feet, but they should stretch well enough in the weeks to come. They have much better soles than my previous shoes and also arch support, which I have been missing. Anyways, total tangent.

The next item on our agenda was to go over to Granny's to trim back her rosebushes. And by trim, I mean cut them down from about 6 feet to about 1 foot, trying to avoid as many thorns as possible. That took a while, and it took a lot of energy too. But, three down and more to go...but not today!!

Now, we are back home and I am sitting on my couch totally exhausted. So much for working out giving me more energy for the day. Of course, that could also be my thyroid kicking up. I wish the pill they gave me had not made me feel like I was on crack, cause I really could do with the energy boost it gave me.

Afternoons are probably the hardest part of the day for me to stay focused on eating healthily and not just eating to get a (false) energy boost. I literally cannot fathom having to come up with the energy to get through 7 more hours of living before being able to go to bed. And it's not just today. I did exert a lot of energy today, so I understand it more than other days. It's like I lose all resolve somewhere between 2 and 4pm. Out the door it goes...sometimes not to come back for the rest of the day (or week at times, if we're being honest here).

So what's to be done about this? Well, for one, I know I need to start being more intentional about having healthier snacks at my fingertips, so the other temptations around the house are not as prominent. I also need to find something to engage me, without overtaxing me during the afternoon lull. Some days I actually have the energy to clean or something, which is really helpful in distracting me from food. But, most days as soon as I put Nathan down for his nap, I am dead to the world until I have to go get him. Is this normal? I don't know. But I do think I need to get in touch with my Endocrinologist to find out a few things from her. The last time my hormone levels were tested, they were normal. I wonder if that would still hold true today. I have also had some conversations with some women who have convinced me that I need to have my adrenal glands checked out, especially since I already have the antibodies issue with my thyroid. I understand that sometimes thyroid issues can be a symptom of a deeper issue, namely something with your adrenal glands. Guess I'll have to ask her if she thinks I should look into this further.

Is it too much to say that at 30 I feel like my body is falling apart at times? Now, don't get me wrong, I really do not have what I consider to be major health issues, except for my energy level issues, some of which I know will get better if I can lose some weight. Yet, how do I find the extra energy I will need to exercise more, if what I do already wears me out so much? Such a conundrum, and a frustration.

Well, for now I am going to sign off and take a few more minutes of a break before I go get my non-napping son who will be testy for the rest of the day because he is really tired and should have rested!! I wish I had to take a nap every day. Maybe Spain knows what they are doing with the whole idea of a siesta...too bad it would never work in this over-worked, uber-busy country.

Sorry for the rant, that's just how I feel right now and had to share...

1 comment:

  1. Afternoons are rough across the board for SAHMs I think. We usually spend the morning, entertaining, running around, feeding, whatever. Then after they get up from nap is when we are the most pooped. (mostly because while they were NAPPING we were running around like a crazy person trying to recover the house from all the "fun" things we did in the morning! What a vicious cycle! Good thing we love our babies!

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am married to an amazing man, who is also the love of my life. We have three kids who constantly keep me on my toes! God has richly blessed me and I am grateful for all He does for me.