Colour

Monday, February 15, 2010

Not Milk?

I have decided that I want to try a dairy-free diet for the next month. Gulp. The main reason is that I have a suspicion that I have become lactose-intolerant. I know that it runs in my family, and I have noticed some of the "signs" in myself over the past several years. Grrr.

My plan is to go cold turkey and try and have at least 90% of my diet be completely dairy-free. As I have been preparing for this shift over the weekend, I have been quite shocked about how much of our American diet has milk or milk products "hidden" inside. I am going to have to learn all the lingo for all the words that are used to describe milk products. Geesh.

Of course, I have had some training in this, because my Scottish Mummy (my mother-in-law) has an allergy to corn. That amounts to about ten different "ingredients" that need to be looked for. So, I have some experience in learning to carefully read labels and in researching all the "names" for an ingredient.

In spite of previous experience, I think this could be quite the challenge. But, my hope is that I will know by the end of this month whether or not I have lactose intolerance. If I do, I will then have to try and figure out how severe it is. I have read that there is a wide range of intolerance, some people can have yogurt and cheese and others can even have a small amount of milk. I would also need to find out if I can take Lactaid when I have dairy, and see if that is sufficient.

Lots of questions still to come, and I hope I can have the discipline to stick with this for a month, because I think I need that long to really know if I am feeling better or not.

Wish me luck!!!

3 comments:

  1. You can do this! Kicking the dairy habit is easier than ever with all of the delicious substitutes available made from soy, almonds, oats, rice, hemp, cashews, and coconut. Some of my favorites include:

    So Delicious coconut milk beverages, kefir, and yogurt.
    Earth Balance Buttery Spread
    Dr. Cow Tree Nut Cheeses
    Vegan Gourmet Cream Cheese and Sour Cream Alternatives
    Purely Decadent coconut milk ice cream

    Hidden dairy ingredients that you can look for on labels include: casein, calcium caseinate, whey, milk protein, lactose, and a-lactalbumin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be careful with soy if you use that as a substitute. it can really mess with your hormones and estrogen levels, and they aren't too helpful in the weight loss arena. I'm saying this from personal experience. Check out my friends blog on it:) Good luck on your journey:)

    http://caraendriss.blogspot.com/2009/08/10-reasons-not-to-ever-eat-soy-again.html

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am married to an amazing man, who is also the love of my life. We have three kids who constantly keep me on my toes! God has richly blessed me and I am grateful for all He does for me.